Foreign Travel Information

I. General Information
II. Emergency Assistance Program (Crisis24)
III. GeoBlue Insurance Program
IV. International Insurance Coverage
V. Driving a vehicle while abroad
VI. Personal Property Insurance
VII. Warnings

I. General Information

  • All travel to a Travel Warning country (as designated either by the U.S. Department of State at… the U.S. Centers for Diseases Control at  or Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Bahrain, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Burundi, Central African Republic, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea-Bissau, Iran, Iraq, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyz Republic, Liberia, Libya, Niger, North Korea, Northern Ireland, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Venezuela, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, requires prior Provost approval.  Requesting individuals should timely complete the International Travel Form (ITF) and submit it to the Office of Global Affairs and Regulatory Compliance for review and approval before their trip.  If the international activity involves research or capacity building abroad, please also complete the International Preliminary Questionnaire (IPQ).  If you have questions regarding these processes, please contact the Office of Global Affairs and Regulatory Compliance at for assistance.
  • All individuals traveling abroad for Tulane-related activity are required to register their travel itinerary with Crisis24.  See Section II Emergency Assistance Program below.
  • Prior to international travel, employees must consult travel warnings and alerts posted on the U.S. State Department website.  The State Department site lists official warnings about travel to particular countries, and it includes other information of which employees should be aware before traveling abroad. Sign up for travel alerts with the State Department by clicking here and with Crisis24 by clicking here.  See Section II below for more information on Crisis24.
  • Similar advisories related to health issues are available on the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website.
  • It is also advisable to consult with the Tulane University Travel Clinic for pre-travel immunizations and counseling  Phone: 504.988.1947.
  • Check out the American Embassy websites of the countries you plan to visit before you depart. Register your trip in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program so the American Embassy or Consulate will be able to keep you informed and provide assistance in the event a crisis occurs while you are there. See the iPhone and iPad free Smart Traveler application.
  • It is important to know and to be aware of local customs and problem areas before you depart. It is also important to always let someone know where you are going and when you are due to return and to avoid traveling alone.
  • Occasionally, family members may accompany a University employee in travel to a foreign destination. Please be advised that University does not provide health or accident benefits to those family members. Please check with your health insurance provider for details regarding the coverage of your family members while traveling outside the United States. Any costs incurred during the course of your travel by any family member, including minor children for whom you are a guardian, are the sole responsibility of you or your family member.

II. Emergency Assistance Program

Tulane University has contracted with Crisis24 to offer its employees and students traveling abroad medical, personal travel, and security advice and assistance, as well as emergency evacuation services due to illness, injuries, natural disasters, and security events.  In addition, access to online information for up-to-date travel conditions and other important information is available.



Summary of benefits provided under the Crisis24 Program:

Medical Assistance:  Includes referral to a doctor or medical specialist, medical monitoring when you are hospitalized, emergency medical evacuation to a home hospital or an adequate facility, medically necessary repatriation, and return of mortal remains. It also includes assistance with dental referrals.

Personal Assistance: Includes pre-trip planning, medical, dental, and legal referral information; travel advisory assistance; embassy, and consular information; emergency information; lost document assistance; emergency message transmission; emergency cash advance; emergency travel arrangements; and translator/interpreter access while traveling.

Security Assistance: Includes evacuation when personal security is threatened by political instability or civil unrest to the nearest safe location at the earliest possible time. This includes personal security during natural disasters. If evacuation is not reasonably possible, regular contact can be maintained until the threat to personal security is abated, or evacuation becomes reasonably possible.



After booking Tulane-related travel through Concur/World Travel Management Services, faculty, students, and staff traveling outside of the United States will automatically be enrolled in Crisis24's international travel safety program and will have access to the following benefits via the web portal and mobile app:

Emergency Hotline: (+1) 312-470-3115  or Toll-Free: (+1) 844-896-4183  /, available 24/7/365. Only use when in need of medical or security assistance while abroad.

Access to itinerary-specific security information to better understand possible threats and disruptions in your vicinity or for any location worldwide.

Free Two-way messaging capabilities so that Tulane can confirm your safety in the event of a crisis or deliver important notifications.

Crisis24 Worldcue® Web Portal  

Tulane’s faculty, students, and staff traveling internationally have access to comprehensive safety information, location alerts, and security/emergency assistance via the Worldcue Web Portal. Follow these instructions to log in: 

Go to 
Log in using your Tulane credentials (email/password).
If needed, update your profile settings, preferences, and emergency contact information.  
Save the Crisis24 Assistance Hotline Phone Number & Email: (+1) 312-470-3115 or Toll Free: (+1) 844-896-4183 /

If you experience any difficulties, please get in touch with Crisis24.

You may also contact the Office of Enterprise Risk Services at 504.865.5653 for assistance.

III.  GeoBlue Study Abroad Insurance Program

For faculty and staff providing direct support to the Study Abroad Program at its County of assignment whose health insurance does not apply abroad or who want to supplement existing health insurance, enrolling in the GeoBlue  Insurance Program may be worthwhile.  For a summary of the benefits provided through the GeoBlue Insurance Program, as well as information on costs and policy exclusions,  please see the updated 2023 Member Guide for the 2023 benefits.  Faculty and Staff may purchase the insurance via their school or department "fulfillment coordinator." Please check this fulfillment coordinator link for contact information. If you need more information, please contact the Office of Enterprise Risk Services at 504.865.5653 or visit the GeoBlue Website.  If you are not providing direct support to a Study Abroad Program, please visit the GeoBlue website for individual plans. 

If students are accompanying any faculty or staff member abroad, the faculty or staff member should request that the student verify that the student's health insurance will apply in foreign countries. If a student's health insurance does not apply in foreign countries, the student should be directed to apply for coverage under the GeoBlue Insurance Program.

IV. International Insurance Coverage

The Office of Enterprise Risk Services at Tulane University maintains additional property, casualty, and workers' compensation insurance policies applicable to employees working in a foreign country.

If you have questions or need additional details on the coverages or countries that may be excluded, please contact the Office of Enterprise Risk Services, 1555 Poydras Street, Suite 922, telephone  504.865.5653.

For health and employee benefits insurance, please contact HR, including Business Travel – International Medical Coverage.

V. Driving A Vehicle While Abroad

The employee is required to purchase the locally required coverage, including physical damage coverage. Tulane's foreign package auto liability insurance is excess of locally required auto insurance.

Many foreign automobile insurance policies exclude liability coverage if the driver does not have a valid drivers' license or if the driver is intoxicated or presumed to be intoxicated.  Also, because many foreign countries do not recognize U.S. drivers' licenses, an International Driving Permit ("IDP") is highly recommended if you plan to drive abroad (most countries accept an IDP). Before your departure, you can obtain an IDP through either of  the two automobile associations authorized by the U.S. Department of State, AAA (American Automobile Association) or National Auto Club. You can apply online or at a local office. Driving conditions in some countries can be hazardous. Check local driving conditions on the U.S. State Department website.

VI. Personal Property Insurance

Personal property insurance for students, faculty, and staff covering worldwide on broad conditions is available at reasonable premiums and deductibles as low as $25 at


 Coverage can include items owned by the department as well as personal property of the traveler.

VII. Warnings

Please always check with Crisis24 for location-specific warnings.